Friday, September 13, 2013

Blindness

I was inexplicably happy 
with my hand in yours.
After all that work
and all this time,
you were finally mine.
And we walked.
We put our adventure shoes on
and we explored that city we built
together.
To the right was the diner
where we had our first date.
And on top of that building
you spun me around and
laughed at my ridiculous curls.
On that park bench we sat for hours
and we dreamt of what might be
in the clouds.
That museum is where you taught me about
silence.
Our city was beautiful once.
But this morning I woke up
and rubbed my tired eyes and
and a layer of blindness fell to the floor.
Where once a shining skyscraper stood,
now was a pile of broken windows.
The city we constructed was in
apocalyptic ruin.
I still had paint on my forehead and fingertips
from finishing one of our buildings
yet the masterpieces were already decaying.
Foundations were cracking,
walls crumbling,
trees burning.
You let go of my hand and
I lost you in the chaos.
That city is haunted at every
street corner
by your eyes and your calluses and your
memories.
Good thing I am no city girl.








1 comment:

  1. Dearest Michaela,
    You my friend are one amazing writer. I really, really loved this! I know we do not talk very often but I am here if you ever want to. :) You are great and I love you!

    ReplyDelete