Monday, August 29, 2011

Three Days in the Life of a Lone Peak Goer

School started on August 23rd and after three days of survival I have noticed many differences from the strict and often overpowering life as a high schooler in Virginia.


In the Hallways:
Yes, you see the picture; mullets are rampant in the halls of Lone Peak. How those boys think it's attractive, I do not know. They are all very attractive young men until you look at their head and you go from business in the front to WABAMM party in the back. Not a good looking hair style. If they're trying to bring it back, it will never work.






And what is more popular than the famous mullet is the rather obnoxious and quite disgusting rat tail. I am not a fan at all. I secretly wish that I was allowed to run around the school and snip them off of each boys head. They probably wouldn't even notice...










I'm so used to hats not being allowed in school so every time I see someone wearing a hat I expect an administrator to come flag 'em down. I never really understood why hats weren't "appropriate for school" so I'm excited to have that option. And even though I will most likely not wear hats on a regular basis, it's nice to have the freedom of self expression at my disposal.
In Virginia there was a strict rule against all electronic devices between the hours of 7:20 and 2:10 but at Lone Peak you are actually somewhat encouraged to use your cell phones in the hallways. As long as they don't see them in class, you can use them as much as you want. I see people walking down the hallway and talking on the cell phones between almost every class. I like this more easy going atmosphere.


This aspect of my new high school makes me feel like I'm in a movie because I feel like the stereotypical high schools have those kids that carry around their ghetto blasters and that's exactly what it's like. They blast the music through the hallways on a ghetto blaster just like the one in this picture. Not only that but at lunch they...:








Break dance and have dance parties. Seriously, I feel like I'm in High School Musical. This is my kind of entertainment for lunch. In Virginia they rarely played music in lunch and we never ever danced.














The "open campus" lunch is very different from Robinson Secondary. At Robinson, we had to stay in the cafeteria the whole lunch period unless we had a pass. Here in Utah, you can leave school and walk across the street to Subway, McDonalds, or Walmart, or sit wherever you want in the hallways, in the commons, in class rooms, ouside, etc. Once again, I feel like I'm in a movie. This is pretty stinkin' cool.
In the Classroom:
Everyone's Mormon. I've always known that Utah is mostly Mormon but I am shocked at how prevalent it is at school. In Virginia, there was a strong separation between school and church but here in Utah they almost intermingle. I was in theater yesterday and we were going around introducing ourselves and people openly talked about stake dances and girl's camp. To think that everyone understood that kind of lingo. Wow! I am in shock. In Math someone talked about their sister and the teacher told the class he saw that boy's sister at the temple. In my sewing class we had a survey we had to take around the room and get other students to sign if they had certain qualities. There were things like "same month of birthday" or "likes the same food" and then there were a few like "has a brother or sister on a mission" and "read their scriptures last night". I seriously can't even believe it. In English, my teacher talked about her mission in England. I love being so open about beliefs and the church. It's kinda like an extended EFY on some levels.


There are more differences that I've noticed and I'm pretty sure I could go on and on but I am not aiming to write a novel so hope you enjoyed. I think I need to work on ending posts. The End.

1 comment:

  1. You think mullets are prevalent now, you should see my high school yearbooks. Scary that they never really left Utah, even after twenty years (or maybe they just made a strong comeback).

    It is a little weird how open people are about being LDS there--although once you get older you'll probably be surprised by how many actually weren't (but spoke the "language" anyway) or end up falling away (sad!). At least that's what I've experienced lately.

    And enjoy release-time seminary, if you can. It could be much worse, because you know who is teaching in Fairfax this year...

    ReplyDelete